Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Introduction

Hello!  My name is Joseph Hurley, and I am a recent graduate of the University of Massachusetts Amherst.  I have an MA in Art Education and will soon be a full time art teacher.  Before continuing further though, I would like to provide you with a bit of background information about myself…

 

I was raised in historic Longmeadow, Massachusetts and progressed through the local school system all while taking art classes at every grade level.  Beginning with my studies at Longmeadow High School, I did not start out pursuing a career in teaching, I instead decided to focus on a career in animation.  My digital art teacher, Judy Neilson, was instrumental in fostering my interest in animation as well as teaching me the fundamentals of animation using programs such as Photoshop.  She also provided me with my first instructional experience in teaching by requesting that I become a teacher assistant in one of her animation classes.  Upon graduating from high school I made the decision to start my college education by attend Holyoke Community College.  At HCC I strengthened my skills as an artist.  My professors introduced me to new art media I had never used before like Conté crayons and gouache watercolor.  After receiving my associate’s degree in visual arts, I applied to Massachusetts College of Art and Design and was accepted for the following school year.  During my four years at MassArt I received guidance from top animators and had access to technology I had never used before, like drawing tablets and Oxberry animation stands.  Two of my professors, Flip Johnson and Leland Burke asked me, on separate occasions, to be a teacher’s assistant in their classrooms.  I really enjoyed the interactions I had with fellow students and felt pride in knowing that I was helping others to learn new material.  In the end I graduated with a BFA in animation.  Since graduating I have worked as a substitute teacher in the Longmeadow school system with the goal of attending UMASS to earn my MA teaching degree, which has now been achieved.

 


My decision to become an art teacher was made for one main reason, art has always been my favorite subject in school and I believe the same can be said for many other people. As an art teacher we can provide thoughtful inspiring guidance, technical skills support and a creative non-judgmental environment to students while introducing them to new materials and ideas.  I enjoy working with younger students and helping them realize their creative potential. I see how excited the children get about creating art and I believe art is important as a stress reliever. Many schools are eliminating their art programs because they do not see the value in the subject.  Art is incredibly important to child development; it helps foster their imagination, it teaches closer observation of the world we live in and it helps instill the values we need to live together in harmony.

 

Over this past school year (2021 -2022) I was given the opportunity to conduct both my Pre-Practicum and Practicum, in classroom, student teaching at Williams Middle School in Longmeadow, MA.  This was an incredibly valuable learning experience that provided me with both practical knowledge and preparation for my future teaching career.  Guided by veteran teacher and Supervising Practitioner Edward O’Gilvie, I taught lessons in a safe learning environment where I was allowed to make mistakes and grow from them.  He provided me with time-tested lessons and answered all of the many and varied questions I had about starting out as a novice teacher.  During my time at Williams I encountered hardworking students with diverse backgrounds and learning styles who were always excited to enter the art room.  I valued all of the times when students would come up to me, eager to show me what they created or to see them quietly working and brainstorming at their seat.  I am excited to show you on the subsequent two pages, ‘Practicum Teaching’ and ‘Student Artwork’, a glimpse at the artwork these talented students created as well as a detailed breakdown from beginning to end of what goes into creating an art lesson.  By bring these students’ work out into the public space and exploring the details I hope that you the viewer gain a better understand how important the arts are to the education system and society as a whole and perhaps become inspired and involved in art yourself. 



-Joseph Hurley-

No comments:

Post a Comment